Q: I've got a ford focus 1.6 engine. Whenever the engine gets a little warm and as the clutch is pressed down to change gears, the rpm's increase.

asked by on March 15, 2017

Hi I've got a ford focus 1.6 petrol,when the engine gets a bit warm & I put the clutch down to change gear the revs tend to rise.what could it be please?

Hi there. There could be a few different issues that could be contributing to your current condition. There could be a vacuum leak causing the engine to rev up when there is no load applied to the engine. The Idle Air Control Valve could be sticking causing the engine idle to be high when the engine has no load.

The coolant temperature sensor could be malfunctioning causing the computer to demand more fuel as the computer may think that the engine is cold and not warm. I suggest to put a code scanner on the computer system and look at live data, including the IAC counts, the fuel trim, the rpm, and the coolant temperature. This will give you a range of parameters that will show what is happening and could lead you to the source of the issue you are encountering.

If you need further assistance with your engine idling high when pressing on the clutch to change gears, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.