Q: Power stearing leaking/not working need steering seal too? 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser

My power steering stopped working and started leaking in November. outside the car, the leak pools closer to the front passenger wheel, however the passenger side of the engine is dry, on the driver side, closer to the firewall on the bottom there is a pan/plate that has pooled power steering fluid in it. before the power steering stopped there was a groaning sound. It stopped right after I passed a construction site.

I'm planning on having the pump and rack replaced, should I have the steering input seals replaced at the same time, since the mechanic will be in there already, and is it an expensive addition?

Hello - if you care planning to replace the power steering pump, and the steering pump, these components will come with new seals - no additional parts needed except for hose o-rings, which your mechanic will grab too. 43K miles seems a bit early for this kind of failure - unless we’re talking an accident of some sort. If there was no accident, I recommend a steering inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. It may not be necessary to replace the steering pump and rack & pinion. Those are both rather expensive repairs, which may not be necessary.

3. Power stearing leaking/not working need steering seal too? 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser