Q: A/C blows hot air - completely stumped after a number of repairs...

asked by on August 15, 2016

I have an 03 TB EXT LT. Dual climate control - digital. A/C blows warm air. If it's 90+ degrees out, it blows around 80 degrees from the vent. The entire way on my 45 minute commute to/from work. We have verified the following: Acuators are working. Low pressure control switch was working. Fuses and relays are working. External temp readings are fine. Blower is fine. Fan clutch was working. Radiator working and coolant levels perfect. We added some Freon after finding it low but no change in temp. Idled for 20 minutes, low pressure a/c do not get cold. We replaced the compressor and accumulator, then vacuumed out the Freon. Vacuum pressure held steady. Started adding Freon. After 1 can, low side was at 40 psi and high was at 285 with vent air reading 80 degrees. Started adding 2nd can when low spiked to 75 while high side dropped to 100. Temp actually rose to 90. We stopped adding Freon at that point as readings were off and we didn't want to damage anything further...

Expansion Valve (Orifice Tube) Replacement $251.80 - $990.71 Get a Quote
AC is not working Inspection $96.46 - $106.46 Get a Quote

It sounds like you did not replace the expansion valve when you replaced the compressor and accumulator. The condenser, evaporator should be flushed out also. You should remove and replace the expansion valve filter since it is clogged causing the high pressure and eventual A/C cut off. If you would like to have this resolved, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect your A/C system and perform the right repairs.