Q: Car won't start, needs ignition switch replacement - 2002 Isuzu Axiom

I took my car to a local auto repair shop and they diagnosed the problem as being the ignition switch. They told me that it needed to be flashed and that only a dealer can do that. It takes about three tries before my SUV will start. I had discovered another way that worked for a while: I turned the SUV to the ‘On’ position right before it started and then turned on the air conditioning for about 5+ minutes and it would start in good fashion. I really do not want to have to go to a dealer, but now my car won't start at all so I will have to have it towed to a dealership. Can you tell me any way to get my car started so that at least I won't have the expense of towing?

A: Looking at the Isuzu repair documentation, ...

Looking at the Isuzu repair documentation, I see no service bulletins that would indicate a programming update for an extended crank or no-start condition although there are software enhancements all of the time and not necessarily a bulletin-related to the latest software enhancements. One thing that is a common failure and can prevent starting of the engine is a failure of the transmission range switch. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who could come out to your location and conduct diagnosis of the no-start and save you the cost of the tow.