Q: 98 mercedes e320 makes a loud popping noise in drivers side when turning or correcting turn.

asked by on July 17, 2017

My 98 E320 by MB makes a serious and violent popping sound in the front driver side. It is loud and noticable. It mostly happens when i make a turn, correct a turn, or drive on uneven terrain(i never drive off road. Just asphalt or concrete with bumpiness or potholes or traintracks.) I have replaced ball joints which didnt solve the problem. I cant find any other solution and i refuse to pay the dealership to fix what they made faulty and should have been recalled. I just need to know exactly what it is and how much the average cost for just the part would be.

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $201.91 - $1059.58 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr