Q: I need to know the diagnostic procedure for dtc p0717. Want to test wires before taking out transmission

I have a 06 Chevy Colorado w a 4l50e trans with the input speed sensor and its throwing dtc p0717. I would like to know the wiring harness test procedure and sensor replacement procedure also.

A: If the sensor only has two wires, it is a r...

If the sensor only has two wires, it is a reluctant AC sensor. If the sensor has three wires then it is a hall effect DC sensor. A two wire sensor will produce a sine wave signal: ’()(-)()(-)(_)’ or steady voltage when measured across both leads with a DVOM or scope. A three wire sensor will read ground or 0 on one wire, five volts on another lead, and a square wave form on the middle wire.

If you do not have an oscilloscope, the testing process is difficult. The ISS on the 4L60E is not uncommon. Also wiring could be damaged leading to the sensor. Inspect for damage or corrosion. It requires removal of the transmission to replace.

If you’d need some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can diagnose the trouble code further and help you fix your car as necessary.