High pitched chain dragging type sound at lower speeds in...

Q: High pitched chain dragging type sound at lower speeds in 1987 toyota van

asked by on September 14, 2017

When driving at low speeds or braking hard, I sometimes hear a jingling/rattling sound. It's almost like keys and change rattling in a pocket, or dangling a chain. It's hard to tell, but it seems like it could be coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Hi John. Thanks for contacting us today. At first glance of your question, the first thing I would verify is if your emergency brake might be pressed or engaged somehow. It’s also possible that a rear wheel bearing is starting to show signs of damage as well or the rear brakes are worn out. However, it’s also quite possible that perhaps a stick or other piece of road debris has become trapped under the vehicle or even between the wheel and tire. I would start by double checking the emergency brake - by pressing it full and releasing it all the way. If the noise still exists, feel free to set up an onsite inspection and one of our mobile mechanics would be happy to help you diagnose this issue and complete or recommend repairs if needed.