Q: Car starts when it wants to.

My car for about a month now seems to be starting up when it wants. The headlights dim and the inside lights kind of flicker as if it was an alternator or something but when you turn the car off all electrical components just stop working along with everything else and when turning the car on you have to put the key in turn it and just sit and wait until it decides it wants to kick back on. I have no idea as to what it may be.

A: Hey there. I would start with testing your ...

Hey there. I would start with testing your battery and alternator with a multi-meter. Good batteries hold a charge of 12.6 volts or higher. If the battery is low, try to jump start it. If this starts your vehicle, test your alternator to ensure it is maintaining at least 14 volts. Alternators testing below 14 volts would likely be damaging to your battery. If you need any assistance, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the starting issue to pinpoint what’s wrong.