Hey I have a 2005 mustang with [camshaft](/topics-camshaf...

Hey I have a 2005 mustang with [camshaft](/topics-camshaft-ford/) position sensor code. I have replaced crankshaft sensor, camshaft position sensor, and the [alternator](/topics-alternator-ford/) (which is typically the cause on t...

Hey I have a 2005 mustang with [camshaft](/topics-camshaft-ford/) position sensor code. I have replaced crankshaft sensor, camshaft position sensor, and the [alternator](/topics-alternator-ford/) (which is typically the cause on these cars). When I start the car I have to rev it to 1500 for a few seconds, I hear a knock and then it’ll run and drive great! Occasionally the car dies when driving and I throw it in neutral and carry on Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter? Stall occasionally but not often Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '05 car? Ford Mustang Coupe Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far? I do both my own work and shop work. camshaft position sensor code. I have replaced crankshaft sensor, camshaft position sensor, and the alternator (which is typically the cause on these cars). When I start the car I have to rev it to 1500 for a few seconds, I hear a knock and then it’ll run and drive great! Occasionally the car dies when driving and I throw it in neutral and carry on Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? Nope that should be it!

Okay
Automotive Expert
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is\*\*\*\*\* am a manufacturer trained Ford Senior Master Technician with 30 years of hands on experience. I am here to help. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your vehicle today. The system will offer you a phone call. Feel free to accept or decline this service. It does not come directly from me. I personally cannot provide phone assistance on this website as I only do on line chat. I am usually on line in the evenings after 6:30 PM CST after I get off of work. Please give me a few moments to go over your concerns. First and foremost let me give you a little information on how this platform works. It is a strict one question one answer service. You ask one question and I will get as many details as I can from you. The reason for this is so I can provide you as accurate an answer as possible. Once I have submitted your answer please feel free to let me know if any clarification is needed about the answer to your question! Would you mind sending me your VIN and as many details as you can about the problem? This will allow me to give you the most accurate information possible based on your specific vehicle. Please know this is not an auto response message system. I am a full time Ford automotive technician, I review cases as they come in. If you do not receive a prompt response, this means I have stepped away momentarily or are working on your case as well as many others. Please be patient and I will be with you after your reply! What is the actual trouble code you are getting? Example P0401.

P0340I've also also attempted to clear the codes after every "repair"
Automotive Expert
What [engine](/topics-engine-ford/) does your 2005 Mustang have?

V6Single sensor
Automotive Expert
Where is the knocking noise coming from when you bring the rpms up? Front of engine? Rear of engine? Driver side? Passenger side? Lower part of engine?

it's not "knocking". I start the car, and I have to rev it or it will stall. I never rev it above 1500, and then there's what I call a "knock" the RPMs drop maybe 200, and then I'm on the road! It's coming from the engine bay I'm assuming. But it happends exactly the same every time.
Automotive Expert
I wonder if your timing chain cassette from the drivers side cylinder head has broken apart allowing the timing chain to be loose for that cylinder head. Since the cam sensor is on that cylinder head. Listen and check for the noise to be from the drivers side from of the engine.

You mean the rear timing chain guides?I feel like I hear the chain maybe when I'm inside the car but it's hard to tell because I have so much drone from my exhuast it rattles my change
Automotive Expert
The passenger side cylinder timing chain is in the rear of the engine. The drivers side timing chain is in the front of the engine on these 4.0L SOHC engines.

what do you recommend my next step is?
Automotive Expert
I would remove the drivers valve cover and inspect the timing chain and the timing chain cassette. Feel if the chain is loose.

Is any play at all acceptable? I can definitely do that.
Automotive Expert
No, the chain should be tight. Also use a flash light and inspect the timing chain guide/cassette assembly.

Can I also verify timing from the one side?
Automotive Expert
Not without the timing tools. This engine requires a special tool set to check the timing. There are NO timing marks. [https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Ford-Ranger-Mustang-Explorer-Mazda-4-0L-245CID-SOHC-V6-Timing-Tool-Kit/153971999826?fits=Engine+-+Liter\_Display%3A4.0L%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item23d9724452:g:xtQAAOSwElte5ssz](https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Ford-Ranger-Mustang-Explorer-Mazda-4-0L-245CID-SOHC-V6-Timing-Tool-Kit/153971999826?fits=Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.0L%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item23d9724452:g:xtQAAOSwElte5ssz)

Hey man thanks for all the help. I hope you had a great holiday however you celebrate. I'm going to take all the advice you gave me and put it to work!
Automotive Expert
Thank you. You are very welcome. Wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.