Q: Temperature gauge past 260 degrees

My temperature gauge isn't working right. When the ignition is on the needle goes up past 260, but my engine never overheats. It’s just the gauge that’s malfunctioning. The coolant temperature light is always on, too, but when I check the radiator it’s always full. My Trans Sport is a Montana extended edition with 4 doors. Do you know how I can fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

A: Hello there. There are a few possible reaso...

Hello there. There are a few possible reasons why your 1997 Pontiac Trans Sport would have a high temperature gauge reading like this. There are two lines of reason for this problem. Either the gauge is reading high due to the coolant temperature sensor, or the temperature gauge itself is faulty. The other possibility is that the temperature actually is that high. When diagnosing this, the first thing the technician will check is what the temperature is actually reading from the coolant temperature sensor and what the actual coolant temperature is. Have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the overheating issue in order to have this repaired.