Q: Whenever I start the engine, It stutters before starting can you please tell me whats wrong with it? 2002 Honda Civic

asked by on December 17, 2016

Whenever I push the car key in, and try to start the vehicle it stutters and rumbles before starting, what could be the cause of this?

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - if your car stutter-starts, but runs fine once it is running, you probably have a problem with the fuel system check valve. This valve maintains some fuel pressure in the system so that your car starts faster once the key is turned to "Start". A malfunctioning check valve requires the fuel pump to run longer to build adequate pressure for the engine to run, resulting in longer cranking time, and stuttering as you describe. I would recommend a fuel system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.