Q: Flushing radiator. Cold water at bottom, warm in the middle, hot at top?

asked by on September 17, 2017

Flushing the radiator. Filled it with cold tap water. Let the car idle for 20 minutes. Started to over heat. Let it sit for 15 minutes. When pulling the plug to drain the radiator cold water came out, the warm, then Hot. Over flow tank never change in level through the process. What do I need to focus on first....radiator, water pump, thermostat....?

Hi Cherrill. Thanks for contacting us today. If the water temperature was not consistent, then it’s likely that the coolant is not correctly flowing through the system. This could be the thermostat is not opening, allowing coolant to leave the radiator or the water pump not drawing coolant through the lines. So - to answer your question, the first things you should inspect would be the thermostat and the water pump.