Q: After oil change, engine stutters, warning lights on

Just yesterday I got an oil change. Since then, the EPC light is blinking on/off and the engine is stuttering. It continually feels like it’s going to quit. It was a local corner-type kind of oil-change shop. Do you think they might have used the wrong kind of oil during the oil change yesterday or is this an unrelated matter?

A: Hello. EPC stands for electronic power cont...

Hello. EPC stands for electronic power control, and the light is seen when there is a fault with the throttle body, traction control, throttle pedal, or cruise control systems. It is flashing because the car’s computer can not compensate for whatever fault is present. Many different things can cause the EPC light to come on but the most common would be an issue with the mass air flow sensor, throttle or pedal sensor, or a traction control. It is fairly unlikely that the oil change and the EPC light are related.

I recommend having your vehicle scanned for any error codes. A qualified technician will scan the engine control unit for what code is present and from there be able to diagnose the fault and perform any repairs required. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide this inspection at your home or office.