Q: I hear a squeaking or chirping sound after the gear changes. What could be causing this?

When driving and usually after the gear changes. I hear a chirping or squeaking sound while driving. When parked I rev the engine but I do not hear it. What could be causing this annoyance?

Hello. A squealing noise during shifting can be caused by many different things. If it appears that the noise is happening after every shift then it is likely that the issues may be transmission related. A few common causes for squeals are low or contaminated transmission fluid, components faults, or internal transmission issues. Automatic transmission use fluid pressure and a series of electronic solenoids and sensors to operate the transmission. If the fluid runs low or becomes contaminated, or there is is an issue with a solenoid or sensor it can cause the transmission to malfunction in all sort of ways, including abnormal shifting and noises. Another potential cause is internal transmission issues. Worn gears or clutch packs inside of the transmission can wear out and cause noises and other problems. As these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of the squealing noise.

3. I hear a squeaking or chirping sound after the gear changes. What could be causing this?