Q: How do I steer when in an emergency?

How do I steer when in an emergency?

Driving in an emergency can be stressful to say the least. Here are some vehicle steering tips to keep in mind in the event of an emergency situation:

• Steering around a problem or crash may be more effective than braking

• Hold both sides of the steering wheel to stay in control if needing to turn 180 degrees.

• Your vehicle is equipped with an Antilock Brake System (ABS) that allows you to steer while braking.

If you need to steer your vehicle around a problem, you may allow your right wheels to drop off the edge of the road and onto the shoulder if necessary. If you must do this, keep in mind the following:

• Ease off the accelerator and steer the vehicle to straddle the edge of the road.

• Turn the steer wheel one-eighth of a turn to right to allow the front right tire to contact the pavement edge.

• Once the right wheel touches the edge and there is no longer an obstruction ahead, turn the steering wheel left and proceed to go straight.

3. How do I steer when in an emergency?