Q: Vehicle won't start

asked by on August 17, 2016

My truck was turning over but won't start. The gage for diesel isn't coming up and is saying the tank is empty, but I had just filled the tank half full. There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere. The battery has since died,and it won't turn over at all now. I'm not sure what is dragging it down.

Electric Problems Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote
Battery Replacement $247.05 - $372.89 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a fuel level sensor failure. Verify there is fuel in the tank, if possible, to eliminate the low fuel as an issue. Electrical testing can be done to determine if the sensor is bad, without having to remove it from the tank. Diesels use a lot of power to crank the engine. Recharge the batteries and see if that helps. It may be possible that a bad battery is pulling down the voltage from the better battery. If the batteries tests good and you are still having trouble with battery discharge, I suggest having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a parasitic drain test to determine the exact cause of your starting issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr