Q: Car will not start, only clicks once or twice.

My car does not start. I replaced the battery believing it would be the case, however it just clicks now. Before, the car would not make a noise, which led me to believe it was the battery. After the replacement, it clicks once or twice. I just need help. Thank you!

Hello.

Clicking when you turn the key is usually a sign that there is not enough power for the starter to fully turn. If your battery is new, then that is likely not the source of the problem. I would recommend looking at the vehicle’s battery terminals and cables for any signs of corrosion. Excessive corrosion on the terminals, or in the cables can sometimes cause the issues you are experiencing. If those look to be in good shape, I would then move on to looking at the electrical and starting systems. It may be possible that one of the components, perhaps a relay, switch, or even the starter, have failed. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and inspect your vehicles possible corroded wiring, as well as diagnose the starting issue.

3. Car will not start, only clicks once or twice.