Q: My car's shifter is stuck in park.

So my car does not shift from park to drive. I checked the brake lights and they do not turn on when I press the brake pedal. The shifter is stuck on park. I do not think it is the fuses, because I switched some around and they seemed to work for other functions. I'm thinking it could be the brake light switch. Either that or I need new brake lights. Any advice on how to diagnose the problem?

Hi there. The shifter gets the power from the brake light switch as for a safety switch. In order to change gears, the brakes must be applied. Check the power into the brake light switch and the power out of the brake light switch when its depressed. If there is no power out of the switch, then the switch needs replaced. If there is power out of the switch, then the shifter solenoid is burned and needs replaced along with the bulbs in the brake lights. If you need further assistance with your transmission not shifting out of park, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.