Q: Loud noise and tire locking up while driving. The left ball joint control arm is bad.

We fixed the left outer tie rod but we have a bad lower ball joint control arm. Yesterday my husband was driving and he heard a really loud noise and the tire locked up. Then he started driving again and there was no sound and the car was driving better than before.

A: Hi there. Knowing the lower ball joint is b...

Hi there. Knowing the lower ball joint is bad leads me to believe that the really loud noise and wheel lock-up may be related. A bad lower ball joint typically will cause the vehicle to track (veer) towards any groove or rut in the road. Eventually, the ball joint will break and control of the vehicle will be lost. Given the high mileage, you may want to consider replacing the control arm as an assembly. This is a safety concern and should be repaired sooner than later.

I recommend having your vehicle's left ball joint inspected by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can suggest the appropriate repairs.