Q: How do you safely park on a hill?

How do you safely park on a hill?

A: Parking on a hill can be tricky. Forgetting...

Parking on a hill can be tricky. Forgetting just one thing could leave your car in danger of rolling away, causing damage to it, other cars, buildings, and even people.

Here’s how to do it safely:

1. Put on the parking brake (this applies to both automatic and manual transmissions).

2. Put the transmission in park (if you have a stick shift, put it in first gear if you’re facing uphill, or reverse if you’re facing downhill).

3. Turn the front wheels AWAY from the curb if you’re parking facing uphill. This ensures that if the car rolls, it will roll into the curb and possibly stop.

4. Turn the front wheels TOWARD the curb if you’re facing downhill. The car will then roll into the curb and possibly stop.

5. Turn the ignition to lock.

6. Remove the keys and lock the doors.