Q: Engine making chirping sound

My engine is making a chirping sound, like the water pump or a belt is going bad. I am not completely sure and would like a diagnostic to determine what the problem really is.

Belts chirping or squeaking in annoying but usually not too serious. I’ve seen brand new belts chirp because of the ink that’s on the belt for the part number and barcode. However, it could also be a bearing in a pulley, water pump, or alternator going bad. The automatic belt tensioner could be defective as well, not putting enough tension on the belt. One tiny squirt of WD-40 or the like on the grooved side and one tiny squirt on the smooth side with quiet a belt noise temporarily. The best way to find out is to remove the belt and spin each component separately. Have a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair the noise that is coming from your engine.