Q: Car won’t shift out of park

asked by on December 31, 2017

A few days ago I went and bought a Bluetooth radio transmitter so I could listen to music through my phone. These transmitters work through the cigarette lighter which I then remembered wasn’t working. I go to check the fuse to see if it’s blown but it seemed fine. I also pulled other fuses out, out of curiosity to check the status on them. To my recollection I put everything back in their correct spot. The next morning I go to start my car and take it to work and to my surprise see that the shifter won’t shift into reverse. It’s stuck in park and won’t come out. I popped open my hood and manually shifted it into reverse to see if it was able to move and it did. I can also manually shift it into neutral and drive. I hooked a diagnostics machine up to my car and it said about losing connection to the TCM. Is the tcm the problem or does it have something to do with what I did with the fuses the night before since it was operating perfectly until then. Thanks In advance

You will need to make sure you put all the fuses back in the correct places since the fuse will power the shift interlock. Fuses number 2 and 14 control the shift interlock. Make sure fuses are in place and then try it again. If you still have issues then you will need further assistance by a mechanic like one from YourMechanic.