Q: My Car drives forward not backwards. In N and R rolles forward, but will not roll back. Have to lift front to move the car beck.

asked by on May 24, 2017

My car turns on I put it in reverse and it feels like it engages but will not move backwards. I put it in neutral the car will only roll forward, it will not roll backwards it feels like it's stuck. I put the car in Drive it drives. D1 won't move D2 it will move. I have to lift up the front end to move it out of the driveway. The check engine light is on the only code that throws is code 41, for a throttle position circuit. I checked the dipstick it reads overfilled even after I've taken out quite a bit.

Hi there. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground with the engine warmed up when checking transmission fluid. Check the fluid for color, smell, and contamination as these could be telltale signs of what is occurring inside the transmission. It does sound like there is a shift solenoid that is not activating; this could be the 1-2 shift solenoid or the low/reverse solenoid depending on how many are in your particular transmission. These are simply valves that control the flow of hydraulic fluid used by the transmission control computer to determine the gear selection for the transmission. These solenoids can be manually activated in the same way you have described by selecting D1, D2, and so on. Since there was no change in the transmission operation when you selected D1, this could be a solenoid or electrical circuit fault. The solenoid could be mechanically broken/stuck or there could be an open circuit in the solenoid or the electrical circuit itself. Properly testing this system and components should be performed by a qualified technician and I strongly urge you utilize one for this inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not move inspection [https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-does-not-move-when-i-step-on-the-gas-pedal-inspection].