Q: I have 2004 Mercury Sable. It randomly stalls, after putting in gas, on hot days, will start after resting AC goes hot during buck

Our cars engine runs really well...when it decides to work. Especially (but not solely) on hot days, it will randomly stall. Usually when we are low on gas OR just put gas in. It shudders while driving if it's "acting up" & the AC will blow hot air. When it's running properly the AC is ice cold. After it stalls, 10-40 min later, it will start up again like nothing ever happened. Symptoms it's acting up: Bucking & lagging of engine while driving Shuddering while driving up hills & @ higher speeds (taxing the engine) AC blows hot & sometimes stop blowing out the vents (sounds like it's on defrost) When it stalls, & we try to start it before it's "ready" pressing the gas pedal causes it to immediately stall out. Before pressing the gas pedal the car idles very low & shudders. Hit the gas & RPMS drop to zero no known issues with starter or battery. check engine, ABS & brake lights on dash since day 3 Related?: Gas Tank says 3/4 of a tank/200mi to empty when it runs out of gas Thank you

Hi Sandy. Thanks for all the information - it’s very helpful to initially provide some technical advice. It appears as if you might have a few different things going on with your Mercury Sable. First, in regards to the engine vibrations and stalling, that’s likely due to air / fuel ratio components being damaged or dirty (such as the mass air flow sensor or EGR valve). It’s also possible that you have an electrical harness that monitors and controls these components that is loose or even a loose vacuum line (which might explain the inconsistent operation). In regards to the AC blowing cool without a problem and hot when there are issues, that may indicate an issue with the AC compressor or the pulley that drives it. When your AC runs, it draws a tremendous amount of power from the engine to operate this system. Existing problems with the engine will be enhanced considerably when the AC is on. When an AC compressor or the pulley’s are damaged, or wearing out, this type of symptom may occur. I think the best advice we can offer is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection, so they can determine what’s causing the check engine light, as that’s an indication that the ECU has detected a fault that needs attention - and will provide the mechanic with a starting point to diagnose your problems.

3. I have 2004 Mercury Sable. It randomly stalls, after putting in gas, on hot days, will start after resting AC goes hot during buck