Q: How do I replace the crankshaft position sensor and where is it located on the engine?

I cannot find the location on the engine to replace it.

In order to replace the crankshaft position sensor you have to remove the passenger tire and inner plastic fender to get access to the crankshaft pulley. The sensor is installed in the engine to the left of the crankshaft pulley. After the connector is disconnected the sensor is held on with a single 10mm bolt. If you run into any issues or need some assistance with the replacement of your crankshaft position sensor, consider enlisting one of our mobile experts from YourMechanic.

Hey there. The crankshaft position sensor (ckp) is located at the front of the motor to the left of the harmonic balancer. Unfortunately, my information system doesn’t have the correct replacement procedure. This is a common issue with German and British cars are often missing information in aftermarket information systems. But don’t let this stop you.

If you open your hood and look at the front of the motor, you will see a two-wire sensor mounted with a single bolt just to the passenger side of the harmonic balancer. They will be a black wire and an orange wire. If the wire colors don’t match what I just stated, don’t fret, as I said before, information for Jaguars is often wrong. There will be only two wires though. This is standard for any sensor of this nature.

You may have to remove a fan shroud, electric fan assembly or some other items to reach the sensor, but it should be fairly straight forward to figure out. Don’t let the lack of specific instructions deter you from replacing your crank sensor. It is usually a fairly easy repair. You may need a scanner to clear any codes after the installation is done. If you do this yourself, you can get the code cleared at most local auto parts stores.

If you need some help, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to replace the crankshaft position sensor for you.

Good luck!

• How do I replace the crankshaft position sensor and where is it located on the engine?