Q: Car slowed down, bolted, and check engine light appeared

While on my way to work, my car began to slow down and I was doing my best to give it gas. Then the check engine light came on. After pulling over, I put the car in Park and turned off the motor for a minute. Then restarted it, but the check engine light was still on. When I shifted back into Drive, the car bolted and then an X came over the D where the gears are. This was alarming, so I turned off the car again and called the dealership. I took my car in and they told me that the transmission range sensor needs to be replaced. Do you agree with their diagnosis and do you have any suggestions before I allow them to do this?

Hi there. You have an internal transmission failure. I have seen this a few times on this vehicle. Most of the time the valve body in the transmission just needs to be replaced, but other times it is the transmission itself. The fluid needs to be checked for debris which would indicate a transmission failure. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling issue that you are experiencing.

3. Car slowed down, bolted, and check engine light appeared