Q: Occasional high revving

In the last years or so, I've been having intermittent issues with my car. Yesterday morning, I tried to turn the car on, pressed the button to start it up and the engine started revving high. The RPMs were around 7500. I restarted the car several times so it finally started running normally. This happens sometimes and it doesn't depend on the outside temperatures. What could be wrong with my car?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 201...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2013 Nissan Cube. I would suggest having idle air control valve tested and the operation of the pedal position sensor checked with a scan tool or multimeter. It sounds like the idle air control valve may be causing the idle to go to high or the pedal position sensor is sending the incorrect gas pedal position to the engine which is causing the engine to rev up like you are actually hitting the gas. It is very likely that either one of these components are causing your intermittent increases in RPM. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car's high revving problem if you still need help.