Car is stalling

Backed out from parking space, once I put the car in drive, the engine sputtered and died. I tried starting it again, but each time i put it in drive, the same thing happened. Even in reverse the car sputtered but kept going. It would not stay cranked in drive.

You may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. The idle air control valve also helps to transition the load on the engine when shifting in and out of gear. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve.