Q: Car hesitates while accelerating, check engine light on all the time

My car has a mileage of around 115,000 miles. The dashboard would show check engine light on and off. But, recently, it hasn't been turning off at all. It stays illuminted all the time. When I start the car, drive it for a few miles and accelerate during that time, the car would start hesitating and jerking. The issue appears during those first few miles of driving. It would also run cold during that time despite the hot weather. This hesitaion and jerking starts to cease when the normal temperature is reached, which is usually after 3 or more miles of driving the car. How can I fix these issues?

A: The Check Engine Light going on and off is ...

The Check Engine Light going on and off is most likely caused by an engine misfire.

The intake manifold could be leaking vacuum when it is cold, and sealing up when the vehicle warms up. The engine running poorly can prevent the engine from getting up to operating temperature as fast as it should.

The Check Engine Light will have to be scanned to see which codes are stored in the computer's memory. Once the code is diagnosed, then a repair can be identified.