Q: There was no oil in the car and it started ticking car was acting like it didn't want to start but did at first put oil in the car

asked by on July 26, 2017

On my way back home when I cut the car on noticed the engine was ticking and the engine light had come on I checked the oil there was no oil in the car so I added two quarts. But the ticking continued I was able to drive the car home but the ticking continued after a while I went to move the car but it didn't want to start was able to move it later on added more oil but seemed like the battery wasn't strong enough to start the car also smelled like something was burning and noticed smoke come from the engine like it was going to catch on fire car wouldn't start but kept hearing a strange sound come from the engine

The ticking noise may be from the valve train. Whenever there is inadequate oil in an engine, the valve train may run dry and that will cause noise. If damage occurs due to that lack of oil, the noise could persist even after adding oil. With regard to the present no start problem, if you desire, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, can perform a no start diagnostic and get that issue resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.