Q: Car takes multiple tries to start when cold. Fine when warm. New battery. DLR says check valve on fuel pump assembly. Needs entire assembly?

asked by on November 14, 2016

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe w/2.0T (64k miles). Car takes multiple tries to start when the engine is cold. Fine when warm. Has new battery. Dealer says it's a sticking check valve on the fuel pump assembly, requiring replacement of the whole assy. - $800 (not under warranty). Does this sound like the right diagnosis? Price seems really high too.

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1235.95 Get a Quote

The fuel pump has a small check valve the is suppose to keep fuel pressure up to the fuel injectors after you shut off the engine. The check valve is an integral part of the fuel pump assembly. The way to test the check valve is to monitor fuel pressure after shutting off the engine to see if the fuel pressure drops to zero in less than 10 minutes. This would cause the engine to be hard to start or crank for a longer period until the fuel pressure builds up enough to start the engine. Replace the fuel pump in tank to fix the concern.