Q: My car backfires. What might be the problem?

When I accelerate, the car does not pick up speed, it has a loud sound to it. What do you think might be the problem with the car?

Hi there:

Backfires occur for various reasons ranging from a cracked distributor cap allowing moisture inside ignition system components to fuel system issues caused by dirty or damaged sensors, crankshaft position sensor that throws off ignition timing or other items. Typically any of these problems will trigger an error code to be stored inside the Infinity’s ECU and will illuminate the check engine light. The best way to know for certain where the problem exists is to have a mobile mechanic complete an engine is backfiring inspection; so they can determine the source of your issues and recommend the right repairs.

3. My car backfires. What might be the problem?