Q: The back-up camera on our 2011 Ford Edge shows shows images upside down or a blank screen 50% of the time. How do we fix this?

A few months ago, we began to have problems with the back-up camera on our 2011 Ford Edge. About 50 % 0f the time, the monitor screen shows the images as upside-down, and in some cases the screen is completely black with no image, displaying only the following text: "The camera is not available. Contact the dealer for service," or something similar. When the image does show correctly on the monitor, the screen often goes dark well before we have shifted out of reverse. I have consulted some online forums where other Ford owners are reporting the same problem, but there seems to be no real consensus as to how to properly repair the issue. We have been in no accidents, and have not touched the camera. We have heard that it can cost as much as $2000 to repair this. We are hoping you might offer a more reasonable, affordable solution based on what you may know about this increasingly common problem with the back-up camera on these cars. Anything you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello, thank you for writing in. Issues like this are typically related to electrical issues, or programming issues. Both can cause you symptoms, and similar problems. In these situations, there may be several things you have to try until you find the problem. Start with the easiest and cheapest solutions researched first, and work your way up in complexity and cost. Begin with accessing the camera’s settings, and attempting to get the camera’s program to catch up with itself. This has to be done when the camera is malfunctioning. You can then try to reboot the system via the controls, or unplugging it for 20 minutes. You may then want to turn to updating the system’s software, which may need to be done by the dealership or authorized technician. Worst case scenario you will have to replace the camera and its control module. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department for an inspection.

3. The back-up camera on our 2011 Ford Edge shows shows images upside down or a blank screen 50% of the time. How do we fix this?