Q: Car's reverse gear solely working 2006 Cadillac XLR

The other day, I was in the parking lot and about to back out and continue driving. After I put it in reverse and backed out, I put the car in drive and applied the gas pedal. However, the car started going in reverse again instead of forward. At that point, only the reverse was working and I had the car towed home. What could cause this?

It is possible the shift cable broke after you selected "Reverse". if so, regardless of what you do with the shifter, the transmission is in Reverse. Have a professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, confirm this diagnosis, and replace the cable at your home or office.

3. Car's reverse gear solely working 2006 Cadillac XLR