Q: Transmission slips out of fifth gear

asked by on August 24, 2016

The transmission started slipping recently. I had some problems with the clutch a couple of years ago so I had it replaced. I figured it's not the cause of the problem this time. Although the car runs well generally, when I try to put it in fifth gear, it just slips out of it and cannot stay in the gear. I tried holding the shifter in fifth but it kicks out of it each time. What might be the problem?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1993 Mazda MX-6. It sounds like a mis-adjusted shifter linkage or a worn shift fork for 5th gear. Either or both of these could cause the 5th gear to not stay engaged as desired. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the slipping issue in order to pinpoint the problem and assist you with the appropriate repairs.