Q: Blower motor not blowing air

asked by on December 30, 2016

Several months ago my blower motor fan started working only on Med high. Now it doesn't work at all. I can see that my large purple wire next to the black ground wire that comes from the resister , is fried and melted. Those two wires go directly into my wiring harness and on past my resister with pig tails going to resister that don't detach from harness, then continues on over towards my temp/fan speed dial. With a jumper wire I was able to get blower motor to come on by inserting ends into the first 2 female plug ends that plug down on top of my resister. But it failed to come on when I touched jumper wire ends into the other remaining series of circuit tests. Assuming blower motor is ok but thinking resister is Burt and or open, but my concern is if I replace resister then how am I supposed to replace the burnt purple wire Thats not same color on my plug, plus I woukd have to cut it out of harness all way over to fan setting in case of a break??Can my fan switch also be bad??

Heater Blower Motor Resistor Replacement $91.43 - $613.75 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. You have to replace the resistor because it was likely the cause of the melting wire. You have to replace that wire as well. Often replacement wires are not the same color. As long as they are rated the same and perform the same function, then it should be fine. It is possible that the switch has burned out as well. When there is enough voltage or amperage to cause that much damage, everything in the circuit can be effected. Attempt the repair you are working on, and if necessary replace the blower motor as well. If your is different enough to where you are struggling with the replacement connections, then you need to make sure you have the correct replacement part. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.