Q: Engine Noise at all revs- especially while accelerating/revving higher.

My 2010 Murano is making a weird noise from the engine, it sounds almost like a muffler issue coming from the front. There is a popping sound, similar to exhaust backfire. It could also be described as a whining and or crackling sound. It happens in all transmission gears (park, neutral, etc.) The car seems to drive fine and the noise isn't really heard when the windows are up and the car isn't under hard acceleration.

Hey there, thanks for writing in. An initial and particular concern would be if you have an exhaust manifold leak. If so, that needs to be checked out and repaired immediately due to the hazard of carbon monoxide. Beyond that, it could be a pulley issue or a bearing issue involving the alternator or another rotating component. If you briefly disconnect belt driven components, you can rule that in or out. Mechanical causes are too numerous to recount here, and range from torque converter to major internal engine components. If you would like to have an expert take a look, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the noise firsthand and pinpoint what needs repair.

3. Engine Noise at all revs- especially while accelerating/revving higher.