Q: Battery plate

I have a rusted and loose bolt holding the battery bracket down, so my battery is loose and currently held in place by a wire. Am i able to remove the battery plate or is there anyway to cut/ remove the rusted bolt?

Hi there:

It depends on where the hold-down strap is located that is rusted. If there are two individual bolts on either side of the battery, you can cut the one closest to you that is easier to access and be able to remove the battery safely. However, this is a very delicate procedure which should only be done by an experienced ASE certified mechanic.

Before you think about cutting it, I’d suggest spraying the bolt/nut that is rusted with WD-40 and let it sit for an hour or so, then try to remove the bolt that way. It’s much safer to do that. Also, make sure to get a brand new plate and attachment bolts before reinstalling your battery. It might also be a good idea to have new battery cables installed as they might be rusted or corroded.