Q: I have trouble starting the vehicle every time I put gas in the car

This is a ongoing problem, I say about 6 months now... I have trouble starting the vehicle every time I put gas in the car. It does not matter if I fill it up or not, just stalls. Only after I put gas in the car I have starting problems, after that the vehicle starts normally with no problems. I changed the purge valve with a new one and it work once with out hesitation. After that, I changed my gas cap with a new one and I'm still having starting issues. I used to push the gas pedal to the floor prior to starting and that worked for a couple months, but now that stopped working. I haven't change my fuel filter as of yet. I'm just afraid I will get stuck at the gas station.

Thanks, Angelo

As you may know, this issue is commonly related to the evaporative emissions (EVAP) system which is comprised of a few components, one of which you have already addressed, the purge valve. In some cases, when you have an air leak in the EVAP system, then the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the mass airflow (MAF) sensor will not be able to correctly determine the volume of air entering the engine. This will lead to an over-fueling or under-fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and the engine’s operating speeds and load. This could eventually lead to destroying the catalytic converter as well. I would recommend having an expert technician, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at your car to diagnose your starting and stalling problems.