Q: Used car issues? 2002 BMW 323xi

asked by on September 30, 2016

I am looking to buy a used 2002 BMW 325xi and have been notified that there is a couple of problems with it: the gas lid does not lock and the passenger windows are "off track." I was wondering how big of a problem these issues are and how fixable they are. Sorry if these are broad questions, just getting the information from the ad.

Hello. The issues you describe are relatively minor and likely will not require extensive repairs. A gas cap that does not lock is probably bad and will likely need to be replaced. A replacement cap can be sourced easily and for a relatively affordable price. The window issue will likely require a little more work to repair. Re-positioning the window glass onto the track, while not particularly difficult, will require removal of the door panels and disassembly of the door. Both issues are very fixable and likely not serious. If you would like additional peace of mind, consider getting a pre-purchase inspection done by a professional mechanic to ensure that you are aware of any existing conditions that may have not yet been revealed.