Q: 1997 ford f150 5.4L V8 4x4, rough idle, truck shakes, sometimes shuts off

asked by on November 15, 2016

I have a 1997 ford f150 5.4L V8 4x4 and my check engine light is on and my idleing is rough and my truck shakes and sometimes it shuts off it seems like i have to give it more gas to take off. I have a code reader i ran it and the codes came back P0171 and P0174 i dont really have the money to take it to a mechanic so i would like to do it myself

Hello - the P0171 and P0174 are lean condition indicators for both sides (cylinder heads) of the engine. This problem could be caused by several problems: dirty or malfunctioning idle air control valve, dirty fuel injectors, air leak in the intake system. As a result, diagnosis is more complex, but do-able by an experienced DIYr. If you decide to seek some assistance I would recommend that you request a rough idle and stalling diagnosis. A mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs