Q: My engine light was on so I took my vehicle to auto zone and got a p0014 code read. It says the exhaust camshaft positioning timing is over advanced. Can you help?

Ok so how do you fix this problem code p0014 over advanced exhaust camshaft positioning timing. I wanted to do it myself don't have the money to put it in a shop can anyone help me to tell me how to fix this issue my car now has no power or can this be fix we just bought it 3 months ago and I feel like they have screwed me on it

A: Hi there: The P0014 is the OBD-II generic ...

Hi there:

The P0014 is the OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has determined that the bank 1 exhaust camshaft is more advanced than what the ECM has commanded it be. This over-advanced condition could be during advancing or retarding of the camshaft timing. To solve this issue, there are a few options including; resetting the fault codes and performing a road test (which requires a professional mechanic), replacing the oil and filter using the proper oil viscosity for the engine, repairing or replacing the wiring to the camshaft oil control valve for bank 1 exhaust camshaft, replacing the camshaft oil control valve for bank 1 exhaust camshaft or repairing or replacing the timing chain and camshaft phasers as directed by service manual. Since $$$$ is an issue (which it always is), why not have the shop come to you? Contact one of our professional mobile mechanics about this issue you're experiencing and get a quote to have them diagnose and repair your 2013 Chevrolet Equinox correctly.

A: Hello and thank you for contacting Your Mec...

Hello and thank you for contacting Your Mechanic. There could be an issue with the camshaft position actuator for the exhaust camshaft. A camshaft position actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated by engine oil in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to Crankshaft Position. Check the oil for if its dirty and has not been changed. I recommend doing an oil change and new filter before replacing any parts. If the light remains on after doing an oil change, then check the harness to all of the camshaft position actuators. Make sure that they are all plugged in and have battery voltage to them. If the actuators are plugged in, either the exhaust camshaft actuator has failed and needs replaced or the PCM (cars computer) has failed and needs replaced. Look on the top of the engine in the front and you will see a two sensor like items above the camshafts location. These are the actuators to the camshafts for advancement. First disconnect the ground cable to the battery. Remove anything that is in the way of them and then remove the actuator from the engine. When you put on the new actuators, make sure that you lubricate them first then install them. Tighten them up and then put back on what ever you needed to remove from the engine to get them out. Then plug in the actuator. Hook up the ground cable to the battery and make sure its tight. The engine light will be cleared, so you will have to drive the vehicle around for a while to see if the light comes back on. If the light comes back on for the same problem, then it is possible that the computer needs replaced. If you need further assistance with the issue of the exhaust camshaft being too far advanced, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.