Q: Dead battery followed by fluttering rpms

My Silverado had been sitting for not even a day and the battery was dead. I checked all my lights they were off. Once the truck was jump the rpms began to flutter for a few minutes before shutting off on its own. At this point it started without a jump and rpms where still fluttering. During this process the vehicle was not moved. I heard it could possibly be an O2 sensor or an alternator issue. Any suggestions?

A: An issue like this could very well be as si...

An issue like this could very well be as simple as a dead battery. A battery that will not hold a charge, will force the alternator to keep the engine running, and some are not able to do so. The battery will need to be checked. The alternator could be the issue, but the battery is more likely to give out sooner, and is easier to check. If the battery tests good, then look to the alternator. The RPM’s are not keeping up because the power supply is limited to the spark plugs. This will cause the engine to stall or work poorly.