Q: brakes/accelerator/steering wheel all locked up while driving

asked by on July 10, 2016

Hello. I have a 2001 Dodge Durango. I got an oil change almost 2 weeks ago and all the levels on my information dash are always good. However, (about an hour ago) while making a slight left turn following a regular pass over city train tracks, my brakes/accelerator/steering wheel all locked up. My battery was still running and my key was stuck in the ignition. After finally being able to brake and restart the car, my truck started shaking, my engine light came on, and I started smelling this foul burning smell. The engine sounds a mess now and its still very unstable when driving. Theres a light bluish fume coming from the back of the truck when driving. Any ideas as to what is going on?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Car is hesitating and bucking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

This sounds like a tricky problem, there could be any number of causes. It could be the engine/powertrain control module was shaken over the bump and was damaged, causing it to stall the car, then to run very rough. It’s a long shot, but it’s possible. There could also be multiple problems, such as an ignition switch failure causing it to die over bumps, and a failed injector causing it to run rough. This rough running issue should be diagnosed by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic.