Q: Car keeps dying after a few minutes of driving

asked by on July 13, 2016

I have a 06 Automatic Nissan Maxima and I am have some problems out of it. My check engine light came on, a few hours later my car died I finally got it started back and it was suck in 5th gear and was hard to get it up and going. I went and have it plugged up and it said it was my camshaft sensors, I replaced them and reset the light and it is still dying on me after a few minutes of driving. Some people have told me it could be my thermostat going out and not really causing my car to overheat. I'm at my wits end with it and I need to figure it out for work.

A car that dies after it warms up is a sign of an electrical module that can no longer handle the heat it is generating. Which module it is will require someone to diagnose it. What I would need to know is what stops working when the car dies. Meaning, is the car loosing spark, fuel, or a sensor the PCM (powertrain control module) uses to calculate ignition timing and fuel ratio.

Unless this is an overheating issue that you would be indicated on the dash by your temperature gauge, it isn’t the thermostat causing this. The overheating of the motor and the overheating of a computer module are two different things.

It is a good start to connect a scanner or code reader to read the codes, but what needs to happen next is for someone to study the scan tool data for indications of what is failing, as well as some under hood testing. I recommend booking one of our certified technicians who can come to your location and figure out your stalling issue.

Good luck!