Q: Transmission died

I think my transmission died. The car will start but won't go into gear. The car broke down on the highway and was towed home.

When a transmission fails, the vehicle will seem as though it is in neutral. Sometimes if you rev the engine high it might move slowly. If this is the case of if the vehicle does not move at all, yes you might have a transmission failure. Internal failures like that will require transmission disassembly for a proper diagnosis. This should be performed by a qualified transmission mechanic. If you would like a diagnostic inspection of the transmission, YourMechanic can come to your home or office to let you know what is causing this problem.

3. Transmission died