Q: Squeaking noise coming from under the hood upon cold start.

I have a 2011 Ford escape, 4 cyl 2wd. The car has 60,000 miles on it. I am concerned because when I start it after its been sitting for a period of time (8 hours or longer) there is a loud sort of squeaking sound coming from under the hood. The squeaking sound is not by any means a screeching sound, but it is loud enough to be worrisome. After about 5 minutes the sound subsides but I am concerned about what could be causing this issue.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in. The noise...

Hey there, thanks for writing in. The noise can be the serpentine belt tensioner not putting enough tension on the belt. In this case, you would most likely need to replace the tensioner along with the belt to resolve this issue. These belts typically last between 50k and 100k miles, so it would not be a bad idea to have these components replaced anyway. If you would like to have the sound inspected first, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location for an in-person diagnosis and advise on a repair.