Q: Electrical or transmission problems with Hummer

I am having electrical problems with my Hummer. My doors lock and unlock without being triggered, my gear indicator flashes from drive, to reverse, to park. Sometimes, when I start the vehicle, the gear indicator shows the vehicle as being in 1, but it is in park. I am not sure if it is a grounding problem or if has to do with the transmission. I had a new battery put in and a diagnostic run, but the problem could not be found. I had an aftermarket remote starter installed over a year ago, and had it removed to see if that was the problem, but the problem remains.

Hi there. This vehicle is known for having a history of electrical issues. From the symptoms you are getting it sounds like a bad ignition switch or a failing body control module. Most of the time it is the ignition switch. When it fails internally it causes these systems to act up almost like the key is being turned off and on. This can be diagnosed with a voltage meter by doing a voltage drop test on the switch. If the switch is fine then the body control module will need to be replaced. If this is something that you want to have diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your office to inspect your electrical problems.

3. Electrical or transmission problems with Hummer