Q: Knocking/ticking sound when engine idles

asked by on February 03, 2016

There is a knocking/ticking sound when the engine idles.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The only way to diagnose a knocking noise is to hear it to see if the noise is in the top or bottom of the engine. If from the bottom, then a piston, rod, or crankshaft problem is present. If the noise is in the top then a camshaft or valve train is at fault. Only a trained experienced mechanic can diagnose a problem like this by hearing it for themselves. I recommend you have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic inspect your engine’s noise for you.