Q: can't connect OBD port

asked by on June 24, 2016

I’m having issues connecting to the OBD port. I get a communication failure. I have tried other readers but no luck. I know the readers work due to connecting them to other cars in the same parking lot. Do you have any ideas? I don't see a port under my hood either.

Hello. Usually when the OBD scanner does not connect to a car’s computer it means that the fuse for the OBD connector is blown. This fuse can stand alone as its own fuse or it can have other power supplies tied into the fuse as well. A simple check of the car’s fuses and replacing the burned out fuse should fix this problem. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and test your system to see if a fuse needs to be replaced.